Accounting Career-Tax Examiner/Collector, Revenue Agent


It’s amazing how many different jobs are available to you with an accounting degree.  Another position involves dealing with taxes.  There are several different areas of focus in this type of job.  The median income for Tax agents is $55.5K per year.

What Tasks Are Involved?

            These folks concentrate on making sure that all areas of the government are receiving the taxes that are due to them.  Tax agents work for different government agencies; i.e., federal, state and local.  They work primarily in offices; however, some of them go out and perform audits in businesses and private taxpayers’ homes.  They also collect taxes and overdue payments as well.

What Kind of Degree Will I Need?

A bachelor’s degree in accounting is minimally required, but some agencies may require less or more, depending on the level of the position. The highest paid positions will be with the federal government, along with excellent benefits. There will be additional courses required to keep up with changes in the tax laws. It is probably wisest to shoot for a 4-year Bachelor’s degree if you want to make top dollar in this field.  The good thing is that the possibilities are endless!

What is the Outlook for these Kinds of Positions?

            Right now with the economy of our country, the prospectus does not show much growth in the near future, mostly due to cutbacks in government spending; however, with the possibility of solving our economic difficulties with more taxes, one never knows how the tax merry-go-rounds will run.  With new tax laws, the government may need to hire more agents to train and retrain tax collectors and CPAs.

Other Possibilities

If a government job is what you seek, don’t rule this kind of a job out yet, just because the prospectus is not very good.  There are so many agencies out there that need agents.  Think of all of the government tax offices: there is a local office in each county of each state, a state office in each of the 50 states, and IRS offices in major cities in each of the 50 states.  That encompasses a lot of employees, and with retirements, employee turnover, and new hires with population growth, there will be jobs in this field. In order to work in this area, you will need to get that accounting degree first, so there are entry level jobs that you can work until one of the government positions become available.  You can’t go wrong with an accounting degree!

Elaine M. Long

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Tax

Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents, on the Internet at

financial/tax-examiners-and-collectors-and-revenue-agents.htm (visited February 15, 2014).

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest