We normally think of the words ‘love’ and ‘lust’ as meaning the same thing… but that’s highly incorrect. Synonymous, antonymous, hippopotamus – what ever do they mean?!
It should be apparent that feelings of lust are more associated with being sexual, while feelings of love are more associated with genuine emotions of care. What’s funny about them is that you can have one without the other… or can you?
Certainly you can have lust without love. This is what people who enter ‘friends with benefits’ type relationships or have one-night stands experience. Having love without lust is, essentially, friendship. There are various types of love: the type you have for your parents, Aunts and Uncles, pets, friends, hobbies, etc.
Then there’s romantic love – the type of love that requires both an emotional, caring attachment (cough, cough the love part) and lust – the feelings of sexual excitement you get for that person.
Some common feelings of lust are…
• You only wish to hang out with them at night (preferably in bed) rather than spend the entire day together
• You’re focused more on appearances, like staring at their hot body, than what they have to say
• Conversing about feelings feels weird
• Answering their texts/phone calls does not feel like a priority
Some common feelings of love are…
• You want to spend as much time with them as possible – whether it be day, night or both!
• You sincerely care about them and are genuinely interested in what they have to say
• It is important to you to make them happy, and for them to make you happy as well
• Thinking of them makes you sigh, daydream or put on the rose-colored glasses
Hopefully after reading these signs you can better decipher your feelings toward a certain someone. Don’t be surprised if they aren’t what you thought they were!