I’m a junior at Northwest Missouri State University majoring in Marketing with a minor in Interactive Digital Media. I’m in my second year of being a Residential Assistant in a freshman residential hall, so I know a lot about living on campus and college life! I have a passion for traveling and all things fashion and beauty related.
By: Kaity Williams
Classes, work, clubs, social life, homework; the life of a college student is the definition of stressful. It’s important for a girl to take a step back, relax, and take care of herself. My favorite way to do this is to do simple things that are special. Taking time for yourself is one of the most important things for mental and physical health that way to many college girls forget about. I have a few tips for an evening of pampering.
1. Take a nice, long, warm shower with your favorite tunes playing. It’s the perfect way to just step away from the world. You don’t have to answer the knock on your door, the text from your bestie, or yet another email. A chance to bubble up and jam out to your favorite jams. It’s the perfect start to an evening of pampering. Afterwards put on a thick layer of lotion and put on your favorite pajamas!
2. Face/hair masks; not only do they feel special, they are really good for your hair and skin. You can get them for a really low price at Wal Mart or Target or you could even try that DYI recipe you’ve seen on Pinterest. While the mask is working its magic flip through a magazine you haven’t gotten to look at or scroll through social media. After washing it off, be sure to use a generous amount of moisturizer or leave in conditioner and you’ll have glowing skin/hair!
3. Pop in a chick flick and pull on your fuzzy socks. It’s the best way to take a break from reality. After a long week watching a chick flick, whether is The Notebook making you cry or How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days making you laugh your butt off, is the perfect way to take your mind off everything. And what’s a chick flick without snacks? An evening of pampering is no time to count calories, pop the popcorn and bust out the chocolate. It’s not like you do this every day and girl, YOU DESERVE IT!
4. Make a fancy drink. Whether it’s a big mug of hot chocolate with a dollop of Cool Whip or your favorite cup of coffee, a warm drink in your tummy is the perfect addition to a cozy night in. Looking for a healthier alternative? There are so many fancy hot teas you can make in your apartment or dorm room that will help you relax and taste great.
5. Finally, paint your nails. This is a small, relaxing thing that makes a big difference. Taking the time to do this one small thing will leave you feeling polished all week. Take the time to trim, shape, and push back your cuticles. People will think you just got a professional manicure, but you did them yourself for WAY less money.
While all these things would be super fun to do with the BFF or roomie, it’s important to take time for yourself. Being in college, it’s always go, go, go. It’s easy to get worn down and stressed out when you aren’t catching up. After a relaxing evening and a good night’s sleep you’ll be ready to tackle the rest of the week feeling rejuvenated. Just remember little things make a big difference and to treat yourself every once and awhile, you deserve it!