Many College Students consider drinking alcohol a rite of passage. But this rite of passage is one you should think long and hard about. Along with the fun and camaraderie which reasonable intake of alcohol can bring, there’s a lot to be said for abstaining, or at least for keeping it under control.
Hangovers at your 8 O’clock are not a nice experience, and if that’s all you have, you might have gotten-off easily.
The thing is, drinking lowers inhibitions. This means you might make choices you otherwise wouldn’t, while under the influence. If this leads to poor choices, you could be in for a world of pain.
These choices could include the following:
• You might end up playing strip poker with a group of strangers.
• You might get in a silly argument and lose a friend.
• You might drive while drunk, putting yourself and your passengers at risk of injury or worse.
• You might consent to physical intimacy before you are really ready.
• Your grades might suffer along with your health.
• You might end up physically and mentally dependent on alcohol.
• If you’re under-age, you could even end up in jail.
Keeping your blood-alcohol content at a reasonable level is the best way to ensure you don’t end up making choices you will regret the next morning. This is around two to three drinks for girls and four for guys, drinking one drink per hour. You can improve things by eating before you drink and by alternating alcoholic with non-alcoholic drinks.
So before you accept that plastic cup of calorie-laden keg beer, decide how much you will have. Stick to that limit. If you feel yourself passing that place of a nice buzz, to the more dangerous state of intoxication, call it quits. You’ll feel better about yourself in the morning. Heck, you’ll feel better period.