College diet plan

Hi! My name is Jamie and I am a recent graduate of THE University of Dayton. I spent my four years at college studying Marketing, chilling on the porch with my friends, and having a little too much fun. I’ve learned a lot throughout my college years and am now in my first “real-world” position! When I’m not working, I enjoy anything related to food, shopping, sports, music and the Michigan Wolverines.

 

We all hear of the dreaded “Freshman 15” and I am here to tell you that it is real. I was fairly active in high school and participated in a variety of sports, so I assumed this was one big myth. Well I was wrong. The dreaded 15+ pounds crept up on me just like they could to you. Luckily, I am here to give you a few tips I learned along the way that helped me shed those unwanted pounds I gained my first year so that it doesn’t happen to you.

1.   Schedule Workout Times

Just like you do your classes. Make sure you have an hour each day (with the exception of a weekend day of courseJ) scheduled to hit the gym. Once you have it scheduled, commit to it so it becomes a routine. You will soon start looking forward to it after realizing how great it can be at helping you de-stress after your dreaded 2 hour o-chem lab. Yuck.

2.   Make it fun!

Do you dread jogging on a treadmill for what seem to be endless minutes every day? Talk about boring! Running is GREAT for you, but it’s time to switch it up! Every few days, do something different. Does your college gym have a rock wall? Get climbing. Do they offer intramural sports? Sign up with your friends. Can you rent bikes? Go biking on a nearby trail outside! There are plenty of ways to mix it up so you don’t get stuck in the same old boring treadmill routine.  This will keep it fun and interesting so you don’t get caught bored and wanting to quit.

3.   Cafeteria Control

This can be the death of you. You are finally free from your mom’s mediocre cooking and can now eat almost anything you want. With Chipotle and McDonald’s right at your fingertips, how could you not indulge in that delicious greasy goodness every day? Who would choose the salad bar over that?! I am not here to tell you not to eat there, but if you want to stay healthy, you will have to limit yourself. That’s why when I was in college, I implemented the 80/20 rule. If you eat healthy 80% of the time, then you are allowed to indulge the other 20%. So for example, if you eat 5 different times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks), then one of those snacks can be indulgent or less “healthy” than the rest. It’s simple and effective! Just make sure you’re paying attention in math class so it doesn’t end up being 50/50…

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest