How to Eat Well For Effective Studying

Even though we tend to sit still when studying or working at a computer our bodies are working hard not just to stay upright but to process all the information we are trying to remember and understand.

Nearly 80% of the energy the body burns in a day is used to maintain the body warm and at rest, while the other 20% is used on the rest of the physical activity. In other words, we burn a significant amount of calories in just being. This means that students and office workers need to mind their nutrition as much as a laborer who spends his days walking, lifting and using his body for his livelihood.

There are some important eating strategies that can help you make the most of your time working at your desk and at your computer:

1. Avoid large meals, especially those high in carbohydrates, if you expect to do a significant amount of desk work afterwards. A carbohydrate-high meal may induce some drowsiness on some people.
2. Avoid high-sugar foods and snacks, instead, opt for snacks high in protein and contain complex carbohydrates. High-sugar meals trigger high insulin peaks which clears the sugar from your blood and is followed by a “sugar crash”, leaving you hungry and with cravings a mere couple of hours later. High-protein snacks instead, provide you with more sustainable energy over several hours, until the next meal.
3. Take your Vitamin A. Unless you are expecting a baby or have any other contra-indication as instructed by your doctor, Vitamin A plays an important role in maintaining good vision and preventing night blindness. Desk work is all about eye vision and eye strain is common.
4. Stay well hydrated.
5. Go a little nuts. A handful of walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, or mixed nuts provides a healthy source of protein, fatty acids, salt, and Selenium. Snacking on moderate amount of these nuts support brain function, concentration and recall memory.

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest