When you head off to school, there is a good chance that this will be the first time that you’re doing your own laundry on a regular basis. Now, laundry can be quite the ordeal in college. First there’s the issue of actually getting up the energy to do your laundry, but once you run out of underwear, its time to put your big girl/boy pants on and get the job done. Use the tips below to help ensure smooth sailing in the laundry room.
1) Always make sure to carefully separate your clothes into whites, darks and colors. Don’t panic if you have clothes that are a mix of both, just use your best judgment. The most important thing is to make sure that your highly color saturated (especially reds) clothing is all in the darks pile. There is nothing more upsetting than ruining an entire load of laundry because you left a red sock in with your whites. This is probably the most important step.
2) Check the machines in your laundry room. Many laundry rooms use high-efficiency machines now, which require special laundry detergent. When you’re shopping for high-efficiency laundry detergent look for the blue and white “he” logo on the package. Note you can get away with using regular detergent in a high efficiency machine, but over time it causes problems and you don’t want to be the guy that took one of the few washing machines out of circulation.
3) Don’t overload your machine. Its often tempting to just shove everything in the machine to get it done, but not only will your clothes not get as clean as they could be, you could also damage the machine.
4) Don’t forget to check your pockets before starting the machine. The last thing you want is to remember that you left your cell phone in your jeans as it hits the spin cycle.
5) Be courteous and keep track of when your wash will have completed its cycles so that you can promptly move it to the dryer. There may be others waiting to use your machine.
6) Fabric softener is a good way to extend the longevity of your clothes by keeping the fibers soft and of course keep your laundry smelling nice. Take the time to add a sheet to your laundry before you turn the dryer on.
7) Fold your clothing right away to avoid additional wrinkles.