Marquell Oliver 18 yrs Freshman
From Aurora, IL
Attending Claflin University as Marketing Major and Sociology Minor
For most of our lives we have been taught that success comes from having the best grades, being in the top 10% of our classes, or even scoring extremely high on test. Although these are great goals to have, accomplishing these aren’t obtainable for all students. There are five components that will ensure success for people everyone.
1. Self-Awareness- How well do you know yourself? What do you wish to improve on? Unless you are Beyoncé, you are not “Flawless”. Everyone struggles at some point in their life, but the beauty of life is that we have time. Time is a precious thing in life that we have. We spend it all the abundantly and we will never find a receipt to get moments back. Being aware of what your struggles are will put you in a position to grow. The more you know, the more you grow!
2. Social-Awarness- What is going on around you? Who is around you? Are your friends, people who are pushing you closer to your dreams? Society has a way of weeding out the weak. Perseverance, passion, dedication, and commitment are words that’ll help carry you through tough times. Anyone can have a goal of getting to college or landing their dream job, but the strong-minded people actually make it and get through the adversity they may face. When people mention your name, do they know that are involved with someone who is serious about their goals and aspirations? If not, PROVE IT. Not only should you prove it to them, but prove it to yourself first.
3. Self-Management- Are you in control of your emotions? Is it easy for people to get under your skin? That my friend is not being in control. Lights, camera, action! Life is a movie and everyone has their very own. Some people want to see failure because they weren’t able to accomplish their own personal goals. Some people may try to hurt you emotionally because they are insecure. You my friend are the star of your show! Actually, you are the writer, the producer, the editor, you are everything. You don’t have to deal with anything you don’t want to deal with when it comes to negative people. Edit those people out, edit those things out, and continue to write your story. A lot of times we aren’t happy with the final production of things and that’s because we are too afraid to live the Frank Sinatra life and do things our way. At the end of the day, when you look at that beautiful person in the mirror answer this question. Are you happy? If that answer is not yes, you have the power to change that and make that final production a critically acclaimed winner.
4. Relationships- How often do you go outside of your comfort zone to get to know someone? Build relationships with people. Get to know someone who doesn’t look like you. Get to know someone who doesn’t act like you. As human beings we don’t have the answers to everything in the world, but when we collaborate with each other we connect. Step out of your comfort zone and try to engage in conversation with someone new and try to let your mind escape freely to explore things from a different view.
5. Decision Making- Do you feel anxiety when it comes to making final decision? Choices are very hard to make and sometimes we hate to make them. Instead of looking at decisions in such a negative light, as people we should be appreciative that we get an opportunity for our voices to be heard, our visions to be seen, and our emotions to be felt. Growing up is when we experience the parties, dating, etc. With all those pressures we always have the chance to say no. Keep your goals and most importantly your end goal in sight in order to ensure yourself of making the right decisions.
You don’t necessarily have to be the best in the classroom to be successful, but these five competencies will help you be more successful in life if you continue to work at them and work towards your goals.