Originally from Brooklyn, New York, Nya Thompson is a senior at Quinnipiac University with a major in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Sociology. Aside from academics, Nya is a part of her schools entertainment based show by the name of #That. She is also a part of her schools Black Student Union and a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Right now she is currently interning for Sircle Media Marketing Consultant. Over the summer she interned for upcoming hip hop artist Justina Valentine. In her spare time Nya enjoys, reading, writing, listening to music, spending time with friends and family, shopping, and spending time in New York City. Future plans include being a writer for a major entertainment publication
Your college years are known to be the best years of your life. It’s a chance to make life long relationships and create memories that will last a lifetime. While there are a wide assortment of clubs and teams to join, Greek organizations will take your college experience to a higher level. Here are the top 5 reasons why going Greek may be the thing for you.
- Community: The number one thing members of Greek-lettered organizations have in common is, they’re Greek. That alone creates a bond between the members of the organization, as well as other Greek members throughout the campus. Together, each member of Greek-lettered organizations share the common goal of working to help better their surroundings, which helps to build a stronger community as a whole.
- Networking: In addition to academics, another very important aspect of college is networking. Getting to know individuals who may share the same career goals as you can open the door to a number of opportunities. Initially networking can be hard on a campus of thousands of students, which is why going Greek can help to ease the process. The beauty of Greek-lettered organizations is that there are several kinds to choose from. There are Greek-letter music, professional, and also philanthropic organizations, each of which can provide a community of individuals with your same interests and goals. Take your pick and start networking.
- Career Development: Many people don’t recognize the serious aspect of Greek-Lettered organizations. These organizations function with the same level of professionalism needed to succeed in the real world. Getting involved with a Greek-lettered organization can help you practice the skills you will need to have a successful career.
- Academic Achievement: One major misconception about Greek-lettered organizations is that they party all night and sleep all day, leaving no time for schoolwork. This misconception often leads to a greater stereotype that people in these organizations have low GPAs. Wrong. One of the main things that Greek-lettered organizations pride themselves on is academic achievement. When you get good grades, you not only create opportunities for yourself, but you also show that you are a great representation of the organization you are in.
- Events: No, not just parties, but actual events with a purpose. Greek-lettered organizations can put on events to raise awareness about things going on throughout the community. There can be fun events such as a game day to raise awareness about the importance of getting active, or there can be panel discussions to discuss the latest issues in the news today. Because Greek-lettered organizations can be large in number, events are a great way to have an impact and create change in the community by getting everyone involved.
Although there are many fun and rewarding benefits to being a part of a Greek-lettered organization, the decision to “Go Greek” can also be a serious one. In the event that you do decide to be involved with one, make sure you get to know all of the Greek-Lettered organizations on your campus. Attend their events and get to know them personally to see which one is your best fit. Most importantly whether you decide to join one or not, get involved on your campus, have fun, and make memories.