The quality of online education can vary greatly so you need to research your options carefully and thoroughly. Once you have a short list of possible options work your way through this quick list to spot the great from the rest!
1. It’s accredited by the main authority governing the field you are interested in.
2. It’s offered by a prestigious institution with a known reputation that will shine in your record.
3. Contacts you prior via email prior to the start to remind you and get you excited about the course.
4. It makes full use of the power of the internet by employing full multimedia instructional or illustrative videos and interactive images and activities.
5. It is self-paced so all the materials, including lectures, are accessible to you on demand, any time of the day.
6. It has occasional live activities such as webinars where you can interact with the lecturer and participants and feel like you are really taking part in a stimulating group event. This is great for when your studying is in a slump.
7. The moderators and instructors are dedicated and give valuable, timely and personalized feedback to your work.
8. Offers lively discussion rooms for the students on the various aspects of the course. These may occur on the course’s official social media page or on its site.
9. Makes use of the students by requiring peer-to-peer review of assignments. Sure it sounds tedious but it’s actually great because you get to see what other people are doing while developing trust among students to read and grade assignments fairly.
10. The exams are fair and specifically taken from the lecture material you have seen. Moreover, the results are published immediately (since it is all electronic there is no point in leaving the students stewing for their grades over a long holiday weekend!).